TPIO Project Spotlight
NOAA Observing System Integration Analysis (NOSIA-II)
Purpose: The NOAA Observing System Integrated Analysis (NOSIA-II) is a capability used to document the relationship between available observing systems and their impact on NOAA’s diverse services and scientific objectives. Understanding the relationship between the cost of available data sources and their impact on mission outcomes is fundamental to informing current and future observing system investments and managing NOAA’s observing system architecture.
Objective: The objective of NOAA’s observing system architecture assessment capability is to support decision-making for the following:
- Maximize return-on-investment for new capabilities and adjustments to portfolio capabilities based upon NOAA high-priority services.
- Minimize impact to services from budget reductions upon NOAA high-priority services.
- Identify and assess trades across NOAA’s observing system architecture and alternatives within the value chain against NOAA’s core services.
- Assess the architecture’s satisfaction of observing system requirements.
- Managing observing system investments through an integrated architecture is critical to maximize the impacts across NOAA’s missions and to minimize cost.
- No single assessment capability existed to assess impact from individual observing systems across all of NOAA’s diverse missions before the NOSIA-II capability was developed.
- NOSIA-II was developed to support complex observing system architecture value assessments and significant architecture trades by providing analysis of system costs and service impact.
Background: NOSIA-II was developed at the direction of the NOAA Observing Systems Council (NOSC), which serves as the principal advisory body to the NOAA Administrator and the lead council for managing the agency’s observing system architecture.
Current Status NOSIA-II has demonstrated maturity and reliability, and the NOSC has endorsed NOSIA-II’s corporate adoption to be used to inform observing system architecture decisions. The NOSIA-II Methodology Report is now publically available for download on the NOSC website.
NOSIA-II Analysis Requests NOSIA-II is supported by NOAA TPIO, NOAA’s division for Technology, Planning and Integration for Observations. TPIO is committed to developing documents, visualizations, and other types of analysis to assist NOSC with the task of implementing this methodology NOAA-wide. NOAA personnel may request NOSIA-II methodology analysis for their decision making needs by clicking here.
(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site. Follow the download directions on the Adobe website to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
NOSIA Glossary: Click here for a Glossary of NOSIA Terms.
Project History For a more in-depth review of the history of the NOSIA-II Project, click here
Applications For a list of NOSIA-II applications and usage examples, click here
PALMA Click here to learn about PALMA.
For a more in-depth explanation of the NOSIA-II Project, click here.
Point of Contact: David Helms, NOAA/NESDIS/OPPA/Office of Technology, Planning and Integration for Observation (TPIO), David.Helms@noaa.gov, 301-713-7164.